Tuesday, August 1, 2006

The Mel Gibson woes

As many of you may have already heard, Mel Gibson was arrested for drunk driving. Of course, in true Hollywood fashion, drama ensued because of his fame. Apparently there was talk of a cover up (or an attempt at that) due to his fame, but then the whole sorted story was leaked to the press. Of course he is coming under terrible scrutiny because he made the movie "The Passion of The Christ" - and of course that means that in the eyes of America he is related to Christianity and therefore means that he should be infallible. And of course the press is eating it up. Mel Gibson himself has admitted a number of times that he has a drinking problem and has many times in the past. Of course, this does not in any way shape or form justify drinking and driving. However, he must be commended for coming out and admitting that he in fact does have a problem and that he needs help.

I think the thing that bothers me about this situation is that he is coming under great attack because of who he is and what he has recently associated himself with - namely God. All people sin, I don't care who you are, you've sinned and probably continue to do so on a daily basis. What makes this guy so different? I mean of course, other than the spotlight on his life. I think he should be treated just like any other common citizen of American - he needs to own up to his mistake and move on with his life without judgement.

On a bit of a different note, we did little work this weekend at the house. We went up there and picked up some supplies for the trim work in the movie theater and replaced the mail box. Other than that, we did nothing. It was pretty nice to go up there an just relax for once. Our next project is to tear down both decks and replace the back deck with a staircase. Once we do that we will be ready to paint the exterior of the house - or, at the very least, be prepared to prep the house for painting. It's going to be a HUGE project to paint the exterior of the house - a project no doubt that is going to take weeks to complete I'm sure. But, once we are done with the exterior painting, we can start with other rooms on the inside of the house and possibly plant some things in the yard. I ripped out all of the dead plants in the front yard - it looks much better. I am getting a bit antsy - I want the renters out of my house and I want it to be done. By the time we get up there, we would have owned the house for a year but wouldn't have lived in it at all. The boys (Shawn's brother and his friend) are moving out no later than November 4th. Then Shawn will move up there about three weeks before I will to get some stuff done. Hopefully he will be able to get lots of stuff done before I get there - but I always set my expectations a bit too high!

No comments: