Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Preparing for lecture....

Here's something I need to watch out for. I am currently preparing a lecture for tomorrow's class on Small Group Communication. We are finally to the part in the book where it talks about how people respond to one another and interact with one another. And, without getting into too much detail, I am currently a part of a few small groups - how convenient right? So, what am I doing? Of course, human nature - - - I am comparing the ideas/theories in the book to those of the small groups I am a part of. Is that terrible? Or is that considered analytical? I AM GOING TO KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT of course when it comes to the patterns/roles people in the groups have chosen, fallen into, have been assigned...whatever you want to call it. But, it's interesting to see communication patterns emerge as I am teaching this class.

I guess this is an occupational hazard. In talking to my friends who have gotten their masters degrees in Counseling/Psychology, they experience the same thing. They learn about a theory/disorder and automatically they have it or know someone in their life that has it. I have also heard the same thing from people going to medical school or that are beginning doctors (my cousin is a doctor, and one of my friends is in residency in So. Cal). They learn about symptoms, and of course they, their family member, friend, acquaintance etc. has whatever it is they can recall from the limited list of symptoms they have learned (which tends to make people freak out if you ask me....on all occasions - communication, psychological and medical). Unless something is confirmed by a professional, I would shy away from listening to it - but of course, this is only one person's humble opinion. (Which, to tell you the truth, is why I almost never talk about communication theory - patterns that I see emerge etc.... It's not worth the risk of being wrong, or freaking people out for that matter because they realize that I may be analyzing certain behaviors - as I think all people do, just on different levels).

Like I said, of course I am going to keep this information to myself since it is in NO WAY appropriate to talk about in the groups that I am in. And OF COURSE I know that these patterns emerge in everyday life, not just in these particular small groups I am in (plus, I don't think there is anything wrong with the small groups I am currently a part of - and love the people dearly in all of the groups). My point here is that it is quite interesting to read about theory and have it be real and apparent in my life. Thus the hazards of the Social Sciences I guess - it is the study of people, people interacting with people, the ideas people hold, patterns that are set up in our society etc.... I love it, love it, love it!!!!!!!!!

No comments: