Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Baby Letters

For the past few months I have started painting letters for my friends who have babies. At my age, that means everyone around us is either planning on getting pregnant, already pregnant, or has a baby. So, instead of getting a little outfit, or sending a gift card, which is my standard, I hand paint letters to match the nursery. The letter start out as plain wood letters, I have to sand , prime, paint, and then detail paint the letters. I believe that if you click on the individual pics, the picture will be huge, that is, in case you want to see the detail. :) I'm not too creative, which is why the designs of the two are fairly similar. Plus, both mommies wanted something not too girly, thus neither of them are pink. My sister-in-law (Julie - not listed in the cast of characters) wants letters for her kids, but I have no idea what I am going to create for them. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Lauren is 5 and Olivia just turned 2.




Here's a close up so you can see the detail.













Next is a pic of the whole name:













And finally a pic of one of the other names I have done:

3 comments:

highway163 said...

Wow. That's really cool!

Carol said...

Thanks Andy. I have fun doing it. In fact, I am going to start a new project painting 3 sets of letter for a friend. She has 3 boys....that should prove to be an interesting project.

Camille said...

I love your letters! If you want some ideas for changes try using patterned paper. Cut it about a 1/4 inch larger that the letter, glue it down and then once dry use sandpaper to remove the excess paper. Then you can add more paper, hand paint, or add embellishments or ribbon. Here are a set I did about a year ago for my dad's booth at a home show. The white ribbon looks funny and a bit out of place because it's all bunched at the top it was suppose to be long to hang the letters from a decorative coat rack.

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q288/bigtex_in_idaho/wood%20letters/?action=view&current=IMG_1938.jpg