Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Start of the Semester

Monday marks the first day of the semester at San Jose State University. I have just about finished uploading all of the assignments, forms, chapter outlines, powerpoint slides, examples, instruction sheets and countless other things. I have a few things left to do, but as it stands right now, the students will get everything they need to start the semester. Two things I have left to do:

1). Revise my syllabus and upload it again for the millionth time.

Commentary: Every time I get my syllabus completed, I get some additional information that I need to add, change or revise. Last night I received an email letting me know that my office assignment has switched again, for the second time in a few weeks. This is exciting because I am now in a different hallway - a hallway I have named "The Big Kids Hallway". I know the department probably did not intend for it to be like this (or maybe they did, I have no idea), but on one side of the building all the folks who have PhD's have offices, and on the opposite side of the building, those who are TA's and have MA degrees (but not PhD's) are on the other side. There is some crossover, but not too much. Well, my office assignment has been moved to the "Big Kids Hallway". I'm excited to have an office with a window instead of sharing a closet (no exaggeration there - I was told my old office used to be a storage room for the department) with two or three other people. Of course this is a bit anticlimactic because I am only on campus a couple times a month. My 'office hours' are held online because of the nature of my classes, and I have phone conversations with my students A LOT!!! I also meet individually with my students when I'm on campus, but in between meetings, I have phone conversations with them....did I mention that I have A LOT of phone conversations with them? Yeah, I'm gonna need to watch those cell phone minutes this semester since I use my personal cell phone. Last semester I had conversations that lasted an hour or longer on a few occasions.

2). Write a new project.

Commentary: I have added an entirely new project to one of my classes. This is fitting because it went from a 3 unit class to a 4 unit class. I am very excited about the project, and hopefully my students will enjoy it too, as it's a semester long project that they can work on anytime they want to. At the end of the semester they will give it to 3 other classmates to grade, then I will compile the grades, add my comments and give them a final grade. It should be a good time.

I'd better get started on some of this stuff, my students should be able to access the class on Thursday or Friday of this week. Exciting!!! I can't wait to 'meet' my students this semester.

No comments: