Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Land of No Leashes

So, a couple times a week the husband and I take Tess Monster on a walk to a place we like to call "The Land of No Leashes". This is a park close to our apartment where we can let Tess of the leash and let her have some free time to herself to sniff and smell and occasionally try to chase a bird or catch a frog. We took her there last night, and being her usual self, she had a great time off the leash. I must preface this though, she is VERY good about listening to us and responding when we call her back. In fact, if she chases something and we call her back in an authoritative tone, she will stop dead in her tracks and come right back to us - for this we are very thankful. We wouldn't do it otherwise. In any case, we were walking along and noticed that hundreds of little things were hoping along the ground. Now, in California this could be anything from grasshoppers to flies. But this was different - apparently we stumbled into froggy breeding ground. There were literally hundreds of froggies hopping along the ground where we were trying to walk. Being the kindhearted individual that I am, I stomped on all that I saw! Just kidding! I am not that kind of person - to know me is to know that I can't kill anything except spiders (and I even go so far as to let daddy long legs outside of the house by capturing them - I like those, they don't bit people very often). In any case, I told the husband that we needed to leave that place because I didn't want to kill any baby froggies just trying to get to the water.

Shawn thinks it's funny that I am so careful about little creatures on the ground. When it's wet outside, I have to look at every step I take for fear of crushing a snail (all of which have the name of "Harvey" or "Harvey's Cousin"). So when Shawn and I go for walks with the dog when it's wet out, my all too common saying is, "Baby, watch out for Harvey. He's trying to get across the sidewalk. Be careful please!". He thinks it's cute - but I think it's necessary! And when one of us does accidentally step on one my common saying is, "Oh no!!! You killed Harvey!!! Bad Shawn!!!"

I know, I know - I am a quirky person. But being quirky keeps life interesting right?

No comments: