Friday, June 13, 2008

Textbook Hell



I am teaching 3 online classes next semester through San Jose State (and two in person at Sierra College in case anyone is keeping track). I am extremely excited to have an opportunity to teach online and can't wait to get the classes developed. In the meantime, I am in the middle of textbook HELL!!!!! I have never read so many textbooks in my life. Since graduating, I have read numerous textbooks on the field of Communication Studies. Right now I am reading two, one of which is above "Thinking Through Communication" (thank you Sarah Trenholm for making my summer reading something to remember). It's interesting to say the least. I am also reading another one on Public Speaking......let me say that again......I am reading another Public Speaking textbook. I have read wwwaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too much on Public Speaking!

I actually have the opportunity to teach an upper division class. I am excited, no, wait, I am pee my pants excited to teach an upper division class. This means that I actually get to instruct a class that has students in it who are forced actually want to take the class. It is an upper division elective, meaning, it's not required by the university, but it does count towards a person's major. Let me interpret this for you.......the students choose the class. They aren't forced to take it like Public Speaking (which is a GE requirement). I actually get to have intellectual conversations with folks who are genuinely interested in Communication. Yeah!!!!

I have taught a couple other classes that have been elective classes, but not upper division. I feel a bit intimidated, but I think I can handle it. I still can't believe I get to teach college classes. I have said this before, I still feel like I'm 12 (12 with a house, a mortgage, bills and all of the responsibilities that come along with it) - but 12 nonetheless.

No comments: