Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Expensive Decisions

For those of you who actually read this blog - which I think is down to maybe 3 people now (despite the HIGH amount of traffic my blog gets, only 3 people comment regularly), but you know that I have been trying to figure out if I want to go back to school for a PhD, EdD or another Master's Degree. Something inside of me is telling me that my education is not over. The other 'something' inside of me says that I simply don't want to put that much effort into an education that I may not use when we start to foster or adopt children. But, there is this nagging feeling, and has been for the last 4 years since I completed my Masters Degree, that I'm not done. In the last 4 years, I have ordered information from college's all around the country that offer doctoral degrees. I have also sent numerous emails to people trying to get more information, only to correspond back and forth, then lose interest because the effort is SO great for these programs.

The most recent program is the EdD program at Sacramento State. This program is nice because it is tailored to folks who are working full time. The classes are minimal - on Friday nights and all day Saturday's. The downside - the program is an additional 60 units, which would take me 3 more years - YEAR ROUND!!!! I would not be able move for 3 years if I start this program, and did I mention that it would take 3 WHOLE YEARS - - - - - - - - YEAR ROUND? I am finally coming to a point that I need to stop wavering back and forth and come to a decision.

Here's the kicker - I know that I will be disappointed in myself if I do not go "all the way" and get that doctoral degree. I will be settling because I don't want to put in the effort to get that additional degree. So, what do I do?

The program is quite inexpensive, but still out of our price range. It's $12k a year. That's an additional $40k, which is a bargain for a doctoral degree, but QUITE expensive for us. Unfortunately the government, with all of the money they give away for school, does not take into account how much you paid for you house, and how much it costs to live per month. Ugghhhh! I've got a lot to think about. Any suggestions?

No comments: