Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Why I'm not blogging

Hi all! Well, here's the deal with the very LLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG blogging break. As you know, I teach college classes at San Jose State University and Sierra College. My Sierra classes are going well, as in-person classes generally do. But my SJSU classes this semester are quite unique. My students are online students, meaning, I don't have any in-person class time. I am teaching over the internet. A great step 'out of the box' for the Communication Department, especially it being a Public Speaking class (we do have 3 in-person meetings to present speeches). Don't get me wrong, we've had classes online for years, but I am teaching Public Speaking online which has been met with quite a bit of resistance from folk in the department......to freshmen, and sophomores, and a few juniors and seniors here and there. This means that I get TONS of questions on a consistent basis to clarify the thing that I just clarified in an email to the class, on my blog, and on the class website. Needless to say there is quite a bit of repetition going on. But that's not why I have skipped out on blogging. Here's why: My classes are set up such that I have my students blogging 5 times a week......times two classes.....times 55 students total for both classes......equals quite a few blogs I have to read. That's not counting the blogs that I post each day for these classes.

I must give HUGE props to my UPPER division class (Communication, Self and Society) - they are mostly on the ball (save the few students who can be clueless at times, but this is not exclusive to my online classes.....every class has a few of these students), and anyone who has taken a college class can identify these folk in about 2 seconds flat......but more about this type of student later. I can go on and on, trust me. :)

So, there is why I haven't blogged lately. I am simply overwhelmed with blogs at this point. And, after a hard day of let's say, being a cook, does one want to come home and cook dinner?

I will say this though - look for a blog later today at some point (that is, after my 4 1/2 hour in-person lecture this afternoon) that is about my husband. It's his birthday today.....and he is the most amazing husband in the world for so many reasons, and I want to give him a proper Happy Birthday in blogland.

No comments: