Friday, March 20, 2009

Not sure what to think....

A number of my students ranging in ages from 17-65 have mentioned that I was their favorite instructor.....ever. Of course some mention this while the are in my class, and I take those comments with a grain of salt because, well, they are current students and you never know the motivation. But a few students from past semesters have contacted me to let me know that they in fact did have a wonderful time in my class and that I was their favorite instructor. I'm a flattered and humbled of course, but at the same time, I'm a little worried. Of course I'm worried, worrying is second nature to breathing for me.

My teaching philosophy is simple - have fun while you learn. Gain some great skills, understand some interesting concepts, expand your mind, learn HOW to think, not WHAT to think, but have some fun while doing it. I only had a few instructors like this throughout my education, but remember each one of them and appreciate the experience. I still keep in touch with a couple of these instructors. You probably know who you are. ;) Getting back to the point - what I want to leave my students with is simple.....enjoy life, enjoy your education, learn lots, but have fun while doing it.

When I'm in church, the things I remember most are those things that make me laugh, things that amaze me, things that strike a chord with me - but most of all, things that entertain and engage me. Perhaps this is why I have given up on formal religion, but that's for another post. How do you engage a variety of people? This is the question I have been asking myself. I don't want to be someone's favorite instructor if they aren't learning anything. Most, if not all students in my classes who have complemented me have assured me that they loved my class because they learned a lot and had fun in the process, but part of me is still skeptical. Is it possible to have a great time, build relationships and learn on an intellectual level all at the same time? Am I sacrificing something by trying to be personable? Is the education aspect somehow sacrificed? I have been giving this a lot of thought lately, and probably will continue to do so. Any thoughts out there in blogland?

3 comments:

highway163 said...

You raise interesting questions (as usual). There's no simple answer to your query - particularly from someone who has so little experience observing your teaching style.

That said, I would suggest that you cultivate a confidence in your expertise. You know the material you wish to share and you know a number of ways to help students along the path to learning.

You also know if you're trying to be popular without being sufficiently rigorous. You know if you're cutting corners for the sake of expediency. You feel it.

So, are you limiting your students to the quick and easy path?

Then it's time to rethink.

On the other hand, are you working with your students to craft an environment that is challenging, stimulating, interactive, and worthwhile?

Yes?

Then don't be surprised if they recognize your hard work.

"Favorite professors" are tangential things. These impressions emerge, fade, and reappear over time for a number of reasons. It's best not to dwell on such semantics.

But meaningful professors do exist. And it sounds like you're working to be one.

Presuming as much, I think you should enjoy this moment of pride. Not overconfidence, but comfort that folks appreciate your efforts. You deserve it.

Carol said...

Andy - Thanks for your comment. After I received such great feedback after my class ended a few weeks ago, I started to think about what I was doing right, and of course what I was doing wrong. After teaching 6 week classes for a couple of years now, I feel as though I put more effort into the first round of 6 weeks classes, and then start to slip a little in the second round of 6 week classes. I am currently in my second round.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said, "You know if you are cutting corners for the sake of expediency". That is something obvious when it happens, and I certainly feel it times and need to pull in the reigns a bit when it happens. I think I receive the best feedback when I'm 100% all semester, versus cutting corners, which I try not to do (students can see it). Perhaps this is what I'm feeling. I need to give it a bit more thought.

Most feedback I get is, 'class was great, we had fun, learned a lot, etc...'. This is what I want my students to get out of in-person classes. I still feel as though I am trying to figure out how to foster a similar environment in an online setting. My students know that I expect a lot out of them, and I will not make exceptions when the results are not up to par. Again, I am referring to in-person classes - online classes are a whole different ballgame.

I think I have a unique opportunity with my classes at Sierra. We meet almost 9 hours a week, the class spends a lot of time together in 6 short weeks. This could be why my classes feel relaxed, but challenging (to some).

I'm always trying to find a good balance between academics and building relationships in the classroom. Of course there is a sprinkling of relationship building through questions and group activities, which the students seem to enjoy.

I have been reading snippets here and there about what the classroom setting at a University used to look like 20, 30, 40 years ago, compared with today's. It's interesting! I suspect this is why I have been thinking about this topic so much lately. I constantly wonder how and why the classroom setting looks a bit different now then it did years ago. The role of the instructor seems a bit different, student behavior is certainly different, and it almost feels like the purpose is different. Again, I need to do some additional reading about this, and think about it a bit more.

I do enjoy hearing feedback, both positive and negative so I can reevaluate what I am doing in the classroom. More than anything though, when I receive good feedback, it makes me wonder even more if I DID in fact fulfill my purpose in the classroom.

Annie said...

Well, not having ever seen you teach I have absolutely no qualified thoughts on your teaching. :) However, your question at the end: Is it possible to have a great time, build relationships and learn on an intellectual level all at the same time? I believe absolutely yes! I believe this on ideological grounds, of course ... but the possibility is still there. I believe God operates entirely with win-win-win-win-win situations. That is what you're asking about. The devil works with lose-lose-lose-lose situations. We are in between. Being that this world is influenced strongly by both sides (thus the war, etc). So we see more of win-lose or lose-lose-win, or something like that. But are the "all-around win" possibilities actually possible? I think yes! What else has God done, then made available everything that He is in every way we might need Him? I think teaching is something God has given you - not any person - and as such, you have the capacity to be anointed at it. Not trying to sound weird, but it's true! If the beginning of it is from God - why not the fulfillment of it? Surely it is all His - from A to Z. So wherever you are on your journey of learning how to be the best teacher you can be, the fulfillment of this gift is in His hands, and He has the capacity to take you beyond good, beyond great, beyond excellent even, into a realm the world is unfamiliar with. I believe it is wisdom which tests the quality of a person's work, as you're doing. However, don't let this questioning become a thorn of worry that inhibits further growth. Gosh, I'm not trying to preach, Carol, it's just coming out! Anyway. I think you are gifted to be an amazing teacher, and I encourage you to set your sights beyond what anyone else could have envisioned, and expect it. God is able to fulfill the desires He placed there!

(And PS again - these posts just make me wish I could take one of your classes. :D )