Friday, March 27, 2009

The Square Foot Garden

This year we decided we would do an organized Square Foot Garden. Neither Shawn nor I have done much reading about this type of gardening, but then again, neither of us knew much about soil or gardening when we started planting a number of years back (and still don't), and gardening has worked out pretty well for us so far. This time around I decided I wanted to organize a bit so I added a bit of decoration to my existing veggie boxes. Can you see the square foot sections?


In this box we have: 6 Broccoliflower, 6 Beets, 4 Celery and 6 Brussels Sprouts.










This one contains 2 Tomato Plants, 2 Bell Pepper, 2 Bell Pepper and tons of onions that we separated (hopefully the onions will make it).












Two lonely Zucchini Plants hang out in this box.










Here we have 6 Strawberry Plants, and will soon have at least 10-12.












This is our last Square Foot box. I haven't added the string yet to delineate the square foot sections yet. We will be going back to the nursery this weekend to pick up some more veggies to plant. I'm excited to see just how much we are able to fit into our new square foot garden.






The most exciting part about the planting project this year is my discovery of Blueberry Bushes. The nursery we went to today will be carrying more Blueberry Bushes around Father's Day. I will be back there the first weekend they have them in to purchase at least 6. You can plant 3 bushes in a half wine barrel. Blueberries are filled with anti-oxidants, not to mention the pure yumminess of them. I can't wait! We will also be planting our traditional tomato plants in the front of the house. Hopefully this year they will grow to 8 feet again. I will update once we have more plants in the ground!

1 comment:

Annie said...

Cool! My plants are still inside by the window ... of course there is swirling snow outside, so this is probably best. My tomato plants are big enough to replant, but ... I don't know what to put them in, and they wilted almost instantly when I took them out of the greenhouse.