Thursday, September 10, 2009

Confession #6

Here's a BIG ONE because it's looked down upon in our society......

Shawn and I sleep in separate beds most of the time. We figured out early on in our marriage that we sleep better and interact better when we've both gotten a good nights sleep. About 6 months into our marriage we started to sleep in separate beds because Shawn snores a bit, and I'm a REALLY light sleeper. Plus, the two of us keep very different schedules. I'm an early riser, he's a very late night owl. It just works for us!

I guess I wonder why people don't talk about this stuff??? Or to go even further, why it's 'unacceptable' that we don't sleep in the same bed. Wasn't it only 40 years ago that married couples started to sleep in the same bed? Isn't that about the same time we started to sleep less, the divorce rate went up and people became more stressed??? Could there be a link?

Here's an article to back up what we've known for almost 5 years: CLICK HERE

2 comments:

Annie said...

Huh. That's interesting. Due to other factors (marriage stress) my husband and I haven't been sleeping together most of the last 3 months. I do find it more relaxing. But then I don't know how much that's due to other factors as well.

PS: I don't think you're strange.

Carol said...

Thanks! Some folks (family), think we're strange. But we are so much more rested this way. Plus, Shawn works all hours of the night, so it works out better this way for us. :) I hope you and your husband are able to work things out. I'm praying for you.