Thursday, September 24, 2009

Confession #9

One of my biggest fears in my career is having a group of students rise up against me. Not in physical violence, though that is a big concern in this day and age, but in attitude.

When I was a Teaching Associate, one of my colleagues told me a little story about how she rallied the class against the instructor. Yep - this person was training to be an instructor herself, and she rallied the class against participating in the class, and rallied them together to give the instructor bad reviews at the end of the semester. Interestingly enough, the instructor she did this to ended up being a colleague of hers for a short time, and has been a colleague of mine for about 5 or 6 years now.

This terrifies me. I have serious anxiety about students banding together against me as an instructor.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Good heavens. Is she proud of her accomplishments?

Carol said...

I think she feels bad about it now, but at the time she was pretty mean apparently. I think she understood more, being on the flip side. But I don't think she ever apologized for it.