Monday, June 19, 2006

The book adventure

I wish I had something to write today, I don't. I think this is what writer's block means. I don't say that haphazardly rather with complete seriousness......but there is something I am trying my hand at to see if it will work.

I ordered three books today on how to write a great fiction novel. In fact, I have a few ideas that I would like to try my hand at. One of them, the first one I would like to explore is about a girl in her last year of college who is very studious, a great researcher, and gets engaged the summer before returning to her senior year. During the year she plans her wedding while finishing her senior year. She gets some advice from a young married friend from her church who tells her that the best thing to do before you are married is to talk to people at different stages of marriage to see what kind of information they have to offer through their experiences. She the book is going to be about her journey and struggles through her senior year of college (the college thing may change), but more about her preparation of her upcoming marriage. I am still throwing around ideas of what to do for the "major problem" she faces in the book. Is it going to be her cold feet of getting married? Will it focus on maybe interest of a 'new love' of one of the couples sons of whom she is gathering advice from? What is the major problem? I don't know yet. There are a million different ways this story can go. Mixed in with the story are going to be her journal entries and reflections on what she has learned from the people she visits and what she feels about her fiance. Does this sound like a viable story to anyone? Would this be something that people would read? I really want to write something that people can relate to on some level. I really want the fictional character to be developed really well and something people can empathize with and get emotional with. Maybe I am on the wrong track here, but this seems like a cool story to me. I am sure I can get a good 200 page book out of that idea. Any suggestions?

No comments: