Thursday, June 15, 2006

A Dog's Intuition

Today was interesting to say the least – or should I say this morning? California is a great place to live (or so some people say). Living in the Bay Area has many perks – some of which I am probably going to miss when we move to Placerville (near Lake Tahoe) in December. One of the perks I am not going to miss is the Earthquakes. Now, when we were going over all of our paperwork for our house up in Placerville, it stated that there was little or no threat for natural disasters – no fault lines close (that means no earthquakes), no threat for flooding since we are on a hill (if the area does flood, our house will be fine), little threat for fire since the trees are normally green in that area and the fire department is close. So, needless to say, we bought a house in a pretty good area. No so in the Bay Area. This morning at 5:24am there was a 4.7 magnitude earthquake located about 20 miles south of where our apartment is. At about 5:15am or so, Tess Monster (or doggie) started to freak out. She sat right next to the bed near my head and whined. Normally when she does this it means that she needs to go outside to use the restroom. So I hastily got out of bed and let her outside. About a minute later I got back in bed and tried to go back to sleep. She came back again next to the bed and started to whine – so I decided to groggily get out of bed again to take her for a walk thinking she had some “bigger business” to take care of. While on the walk she kept looking south. I thought she was simply listening to another dog in the apartment complex, but when we got back to the house (after the “big business” completion) there was a “breaking news report”. There was an earthquake. Tess Monster was simply trying to warn us that somethin’ was a-brewin’ in the area. For the next hour or so she would whine intermittently. About five minutes after every instance of whining, the news station reported an aftershock. Our dog is extremely smart – a bit of a spoiled brat, but very smart! I just wish there was some way to reason with the dog and tell her, “I don’t care about the earthquake – if I can feel it – or if it throws me out of bed, then I will get up. However, if I can’t feel it, please don’t wake me up to notify me of an earthquake”. But that’s not possible.

Many people (including our family on the east coast) think that we are crazy for living in earthquake country. But, it’s a small price to pay for the weather I guess. Plus, most of the time we are hit with really small earthquakes that we can’t feel. Actually, after living here for most of my life I kind of enjoy a good earthquake. Sounds crazy, but it spices up life a bit. What do you think?

No comments: