Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Performance Review

So today I had my performance review - although in the world of academia I don't think it's called that. Essentially I had a 'senior' instructor come into my class and observe me for about an hour. Then, two weeks later, I met with the instructor to find out what he/she thought. Now, at every college I teach at, it's done a little differently. At De Anza, we meet with the observing instructor - but at San Jose State we simply get a letter in our mail box. This observation was at De Azna. So, I actually met with the observing instructor.

Everything was going ok until - well - until I put my foot in my mouth. I should walk around with a tattoo on my forehead that says "Foot in Mouth Syndrome - BEWARE!" So, there I was, having coffee with the instructor who observed me, and all was well. She talked to me a little about how I had improved since last quarter and how I should just keep on doing what I am doing. I asked her for suggestions and she said that everything looks good and that I shouldn't change anything. Towards the end of the conversation she asks me about a retiring professor at
San Jose State. I said something a bit negative about the instructor and spent the next 5 minutes trying to dig myself out of the hole I just dug. I didn't mean to say what I did, but as those of us who have "Foot in Mouth" syndrome know - you can't take something back after you have said it. It is eternally out there and there is nothing you can do about it. I just hope that the observing instructor is forgiving - (I did spend the rest of the 5 minutes saying positive things about the retiring professor - so I hope that ended things on a little bit of a positive note).

On a bit of a different subject - now that I am only teaching 2 days a week with absolutely no prospects for work during the summer. Now, I could just sit back and do nothing all summer - work on my tan - and enjoy this time. However, I have been working full time for about the last ten years and don't really know what to do with myself since I have time off. How do housewives do it? I am not asking this to be mean or sexist - but I am truly wondering how people do it when they have long periods of time off? I don't have kids, so I don't really have anything to keep me busy during the day. If I don't get some suggestions soon, I have a feeling that I will be reading away my summer. I have 6 more books I want to get through, but I was hoping to spread those out over the next few months. At this rate I will be done with them in no time.

Until tomorrow.....(or later if I get really bored).......

No comments: