Thursday, August 17, 2006

Icckkkk!!!

So I started my new medication last night. But before I actually took the prescription I looked up information on it and the outlook was not pretty. Some people on the internet reported LOTS of problems and side effects of taking the medication, some of which have not gone away even after the patient stopped taking the medication for as long as a year or two. Scary scary stuff. Even though there are side effects I decided to listen to my doctor, friends, family and of course the husband and took it. I can only hope and pray that this medication is not going to do any harm to my body in the short term, and especially in the long term.

It's very upsetting that I even have to go on this medication, but apparently my body isn't working correctly. I have been working out for hours a day for weeks and weeks - and even longer than that, I have been working out for at least 30-45 minutes a day 6-7 days a week for months now with no positive effect on my cholesterol at all. My good cholesterol is down and my bad cholesterol is up - but that's not the worst of it, it's my triglycerides in my blood that they are worried about which is what I am taking medication for. I am not going to tell you what the count was, but it's one of the highest I have ever heard of in a person. This is interesting because I don't have a high fat diet at all. In fact, most of what I have been eating is yogurt, veggies, fruit and of course my downfall, bread and pasta - but not a whole lot of red meat or high fat foods. This is frustrating because the numbers show something completely different. In fact, the woman at the front desk of the Dr.'s office made some kind of comment like, "When I first looked at the results I thought to myself, 'does this girl know what a piece of chicken is'?". Of course the assumption is that I am eating Big Mac's and fries everyday which is totally untrue - but that's what they assume my diet is like. (And as a side note, the woman at the front desk of the Dr.'s office has NO room to talk as she is probably 260 pounds and like 5 foot 2). But, I am sure that her cholesterol is FINE - because it probably doesn't run in her family. However, I am 'assumed' to have a horrible diet because my total cholesterol is a bit high but my triglycerides are literally through the roof. (When I told one of my friends what my level was she didn't believe me because her Dr. was concerned that her level was about 300 and my level was leaps and bounds MUCH higher than hers). Actually, if anyone should have high cholesterol it should be my husband with as much as he eats out at fast food places - but no one assumes his diet is bad because I am sure his cholesterol is fine. I am glad that he has great health, but it makes me feel like I am doing something horribly wrong somewhere. I am going to work out for at least 45 mins. to an hour today and for breakfast I had a bowl of blueberries, 3 egg whites for protein and a plain wheat english muffin. Pretty good I assume - there was no fat in what I ate - and this is a typical breakfast for me. If it's not egg whites it's yogurt and fruit. And then for lunch I am going to have vegetables and rice or something like that and dinner is going to be fish, potatoes and veggies. Ummmm, yeah - nothing in that diet is high in cholesterol! Frustrated frustrated frustrated!!! And with all of the exercise I am doing, some cholesterol in my diet shouldn't be bad for me. I don't understand - I hate pills! I hate them I hate them I hate them!!!! Ugghhhhhh, I need prayer!

No comments: