Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Never ending students and the classes that never end

I am running off to a meeting right now, but I will update later on tonight. :)

Sorry to keep you all waiting. Thanks Natalie for the little nudge to get going on this blog. :)

My classes for this semester were created at the very last moment. This means that my classes did not actually get into the schedule at San Jose State. They are classes that the students found out about right when classes started. This means that I had no roster on my first day - every student who wanted to add my class had to get an add code. This has created such a nightmare for me. I am supposed to have 27 students in each class, but my roster is showing only 15-20. I have handed out more than enough add codes, but students are hesitating to add the class because of financial aid, internet problems or any other number of excuses a college student can come up with. So, I feel like I am nagging them when it comes to adding the class. I gave them deadlines - most listened, but some contacted me to say they couldn't add for one reason or another. I am trying to keep a list of 'individual' circumstance so I don't accidently drop someone, but gosh, with 50-odd students or so, it's hard. In addition to this, the counselors at San Jose State keep sending people to my class because they see in the computer system that my class is not full. However, I have a waiting list a mile long, yet they keep sending people to me. So, every class is interrupted numerous times by students looking to add the class - what a headache.

"The class that never ends" is my second class of the day. I swear these student's either don't get me or they don't like me. They have no sense of humor - every time I make a joke - NOTHING!!! I can make the same joke in my first class of the day and they will be rolling on the floor laughing - but my second class all I get are blank stares. Yikes!!! I hope it gets better.

No comments: