Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Bathroom Update

Here is a pic of the bathroom as of today. Here's how it went down:

Monday: Decided that I (alone) was going to remodel our downstairs bathroom. Partly because Shawn hurt his back over the weekend, but partly because I wanted to see if I could do it alone. I researched the toilet and sink we are going to put in there, and promptly went to the home improvement store to buy the items. I, with the guiding of Shawn, ripped out the old fixtures.

Tuesday: This was the day of painting that never ended. I painted two coats of primer and one final coat of latex paint. I realize that I should have added another top coat, but after two coats of primer, the walls were perfect. I added the final coat because it was the semi-gloss finish which is appropriate for bathrooms and kitchens (also, if you recall in a previous home remodeling post - I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use flat paint again if I can help it - I hate the stuff!!!) Final coat finished at about midnight.

Wednesday: Went shopping for the curtains (which I am going to have to make myself), shower curtain and bath mats. I decided on lilac - not a normal color for me to use in a house, but I have never had purple in any house I have ever lived in and I thought it would look really cute. It's going to be a 'country' bathroom...not normally my style, but the area of California I live in screams country. So, this bathroom is a nod to the area. ;)

Thursday: Make the curtains (if my sister-in-law will so kindly let me borrow her sewing machine), install the curtains, shower curtain, sink and toilet. Maybe I will go out tomorrow to look for a light fixture to replace the 70's fixture in there right now. I am thinking some kind of cute track lighting. Also, I need to pick up a mirror and install that too. Oh yeah, and maybe a wicker waste basket for the corner.

Friday: Sharon and I will be going out to Whole Foods......if we have time, I may high-jack her and stop by Ikea to see if there is something inexpensive to put into the bathroom, maybe a bookshelf of sorts - something small and cute....and of course, with the lilac color, something country. If I can't find a bookshelf, I have a feeling I will be buying something to put in the corner to hold extra 'bathroomy' kind of stuff.





I must say, this picture doesn't do justice. It simply looks like I ripped some stuff out - but trust me, the former yellow stained walls (now gleaming white), and nasty flooring from the 70's - is now new linoleum (I know, I know - linoleum SUCKS!!!!!! I would have put tile in there, but this is a temporary fix) speaks volumes if you see it in person. We are going to rip out the whole thing in a couple of years, make it bigger, move the toilet and sink to the other side of the bathroom (QUITE the undertaking I might add - we are going to have to break out concrete and everything) put tile down on the floor and re-tile the shower area etc.... So, what I am doing is a short term - couple year fix. And, before you ask - the reason why we are remodeling it now for a temporary fix is because I CANNOT live with the bathroom the way it was. It was disgusting!!! And, it cost only a few hundred dollars to remodel it (yes, I remodel EVERYTHING on a budget. Plus, we are having a party here in a few weeks and the house needs to be mostly presentable.

I will post more pics once the sink and toilet are in. :) Until then......

No comments: