Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Not exactly what I wanted, but.....

For the last week or so I have been researching PhD programs. I haven't found any programs that I am REALLY interested in. Simply because it's not the right time to sell our house, and because Shawn doesn't really want to move (and neither do I frankly). There is little in our area as far as advanced degrees, but I think I came across one that I may be fairly interested in. It's an EdD program.....and it's only about 45 minutes away from our house. That's right folks, it's at UC Davis. Here's the rationale - I don't wanna move - I don't wanna be without my husband - I don't wanna sell my house just yet - I like the area where I live - and I DO NOT IN ANY WAY want to have to research and write papers for the rest of my life. In addition to that, my career goals have shifted a bit. I am amazing at administrative work (when I am motivated) - and I am really good at teaching (or so I have been told about a million times). I have been interested in the "Dean" positions at Universities/College's for quite some time. So, I think the EdD program fits my ultimate career goals (that is, if a position as Dean opens up and there aren't a thousand people applying). And here's the best part, being a Dean requires an advanced degree, a number of years of teaching at the college level (which I am doing), and lots of administrative work experience. Ummmm, hello - perfect career knocking here - can I come in? No, that's not the best part, this is - being a dean starts at over 100k per year. So, over the next 20 years, this is what I could be working towards. But then again, these are my plans, not God's. We will see what the future holds, but this seems like something good to pursue......for now. I have an email out to UC Davis, I will keep y'all posted on what they say. :)

No comments: