Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It brought me to tears

I had quite and interesting experience driving to work yesterday. At a busy intersection in Roseville I noticed demonstrators for Prop 8 standing on all four corners of the intersection holding signs. (For those of you that read this blog and are unaware of Prop 8, click HERE to read up on Prop 8). There were about 25 people standing on each corner holding signs for each side, for a total of about 100 people in this one particular intersection. Signs reading No on Prop 8, and of course the vote Yes on Prop 8 signs. As I drove through the intersection I felt a bit scared. Having not been alive in the 60's (and barely during the 70's), and having never been involved in a protest, I have never experienced anything quite like this before. It was exhilarating! I have stood in the midst of a large group of people before, but never like this. I felt excited and frightened at the same time. I was excited that people are getting out there and taking a stand for what they believe, on both sides.

It literally brought me to tears. I was on the phone when I passed by the intersection and literally had to stop talking because I was so moved by what was happening. I understand that people as a whole can sometimes be quite complacent with what's going on, and on the flip side, can be quite involved at times. But I have never experienced anything like this before. When I drove home later last night after work I passed by the same intersection. It was raining pretty hard, the wind was blowing, but to my amazement, about 400 more people had joined the demonstration in this intersection. I thought, and even commented to one of my students that the demonstrators were probably gone because it was dark by the time I let them out of class and the storm had gotten a bit more intense. I was wrong! (I love when I'm wrong by the way....to me it means that I am learning, and that excites me quite a bit). Getting back to my point, the sidewalks were lined with people, even down the streets on all sides holding up signs for both positions. I can't stress this enough, it moves me like nothing else, when people take a stand for what they believe. It's not who your supporting or what your supporting, it's the fact that the apathy and complacency has drifted away, even if for only a moment, that moves me to tears.

For those in California, have you experienced demonstrators in intersections? I have asked a few people, but have not heard back yet.

I have put this next section in small print on purpose. It is mildly related to the post, but has little to do with it and since I don't want this blog to be a political one, I will probably never mention this again. When I was in college, both undergraduate and graduate degrees, I was this [ ] close to switching majors over to Political Science. I have a deep love for Politics, and that love has never faded. Sometimes I think about going back to school just to learn more about Poli Sci. Perhaps this is why I try not to get into political conversations, and perhaps why I get slightly irritated at people that try to be political 'shockers' rather than sharing their genuine perspective. (To understand the political 'shocker' comment, you would need to understand a bit about my past...and I would be willing to share that, but not on this blog). In short, my love for politics runs deep in my veins, so much so that I can certainly see myself getting emotionally involved in conversations, and to save myself from saying something I will regret later, I completely shy away from these types of conversations. That's it, nothing more to say. Happy voting today!

6 comments:

Annie said...

Wow. I love knowing this about you, Carol. A strong love of convicted action.

Anonymous said...

The biggest demonstration in Lathrop is me yelling,"Boooo" at the 2 people holding Yes on 8 signs...I think I may go on the corner...see ya on the 15th... :)

Carol said...

Annie - not many people knew that about me before I posted it here. Heck, I think maybe Shawn was the only person in the world that was aware of my love for politics. In fact, he asks me on a continual basis why I don't get involved with local gov't. I might someday, but for now I love teaching. :)

Rish (anonymous) - That's interesting that there weren't many demonstrators. I don't travel much outside P-ville, Folsom or Roseville and have heard that signs were being torn down and removed from people's yards across the state, but was unaware of demonstrators on corners and such. It might be 'area specific' up here, who knows. It was nice to see though that both sides were represented up here.

Melanie: said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
highway163 said...

What a cool post. Thanks for sharing your experiences! I had no idea some street corners were so fraught with excitement. In Scotts Valley, there couldn't have been more than 20 folks...

Carol said...

Andy - about a month before the election I noticed street corners with people holding signs. In bigger intersections there were about 10 - 20 people per intersection leaving 4 or 5 at each corner. But the night before the election is was chaotic. One of my students reported that by the time she got to the intersection that night, it took her 20 minutes to make a U-turn because there were so many blocking the intersection. It got crazy up here. I'm surprised to hear that it was area specific - maybe since Placer County is notoriously conservative, but Sacramento County is not things got pretty heated. (At least this was the hypothesis my students came to. I'm still learning about the area up here....and what an impression it did make). :)