Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Story of Bell - Day 4

This morning Carol took me for a long walk. I woke up with a bang, ready to go out. Carol put my leash on me and we started on the dog trail. I pulled and pulled because I had so much energy. I think I'm going to win the battle of the leash while I'm here. Then we went to the water district to run around a bit. There was nary a soul in site, so Carol took me off my leash so I can run, jump and hop around. Good thing too, I had tons of energy. We circled the large building three times and I got to get some energy out. When we were done with that, Carol put me back on my leash and I was much easier to walk. At this point Carol had me walk right next to her, correcting me when I tried to get ahead of her.

I forgot to mention, while on the little stint on the dog trail, some folks came towards me and wanted to pet me. I got a bit anxious and tried to hide behind Carol and when they put their hand out to let me sniff, I instead growled. Not sure what that was all about, so Carol is going to tell my mom and dad about it. Perhaps I'm just anxious without my family? When Carol and Shawn took me on a long walk yesterday, I was just fine. Maybe the folks looked a bit mean? I'm not sure, but from now on when Carol walks me along, she will not stop to talk to folks. When we stopped to talk to Shawn's sister and brother-in-law, I was just fine and they pet me and I loved it. So I'm not sure what happened this morning.

Back to my day..... This afternoon Carol went shopping and I slept while she was gone for a couple of hours. Then this afternoon I slept for another couple of hours. I think Carol and Shawn have been doing a good job of wearing me out with exercise, walks, the frisbee and playing inside the house. They have also been petting me A LOT. When I say A LOT, I mean hours and hours a day.

It's about 3:30 and I just woke up. Carol said that I will get another walk tonight, but that maybe we should skip the frisbee today.

Oh, I forgot to mention....... When Carol got home from shopping, she gave me the BIGGEST box of dog treats I have ever seen. Apparently she went to Costco and they had organic doggie treats. Mmmmmm, I love them! She said that I can take home whatever I don't eat this week. Considering it's a 3.5lb. box of treats, I will probably go home with quite a few.

Until later.......

As I suspected, we went out last night to play. Shawn and Carol decided that I should take it easy since I have been going on walks twice a day, and playing catch/fetch twice a day. They took me back to the water district since they have an area of grass with a picnic table. I play catch while Carol threw the ball into the air, and I was fetching when Shawn would throw the ball. When we were just about to leave, two very large labrador retrievers came up to us. Carol freaked out because she didn't know if they were friend or foe. Turns out they were as friendly as I am. I ran up to their owner, booty a'waggin' and wanted her to pet me. Then a fun game of fetch ensued with the three of us. Since I was already pretty worn out, I ran just a little bit longer, but the decided I had had enough. We then went home.

Carol and Shawn cuddled with me for a little while, then they watched some TV while I slept on the hardwood floor. At about 11pm Shawn came out and cuddled with me some more and we feel asleep together on the big doggie bed.

I might have forgotten to mention that Shawn and Carol rearranged their house to make me more comfortable. Since I like to sleep in the living room, the big dog bed (the queen sized bed) was moved into the living room. Carol and Shawn said that this is what their last dog loved, and thought that I would like it too. Yep, I sure do. And I love cuddling up to Shawn in the middle of the night and I especially like sleeping with my tongue hanging out.

Tomorrow is a new day, but I think it will be less busy. Carol's online classes start tomorrow, so I don't think I will get as much activity. But we'll see. Night night.

No comments: